Bones are the essential structures that support and allow us to move. Bones also play various roles in the body including protecting the organs, storing minerals, etc. All these minerals keep the bones stronger and the bones release these minerals into the body whenever required. You should take proper measures and care to keep your bones healthy and strong. If not, your bones become weak or break and cause long-lasting health issues.
How Does the Bone Health Get Affected?
Your bones keep changing, which means new bones are formed and old bones will break down. At a young age, your body produces a greater number of bones than it breaks and the bone mass increases. But as you age, the remodeling process continues but the number of bones that break down is high than the newly formed bones. If the bone mass is low, you are at risk of developing a condition called osteoporosis where your bones become weak. If your bone mass is high even when you are old, you are at a lower risk of developing osteoporosis.
There are several factors that can affect the health of your bones such as the following:
- Diet: People who follow a diet that is less in calcium are at high risk of developing osteoporosis. The deficiency of Vitamin D also affects your bone health as it is responsible for making your body use calcium.
- Exercise: Being inactive for a longer duration can cause osteoporosis. With regular exercise, your bones become strong and healthier.
- Body size: If you are very thin, your bone mass can be low and you cannot use it as you get older.
- Smoking and drinking: Smoking and drinking can weaken your bones and the chances of osteoporosis are also high.
- Hormones: Higher levels of thyroid hormones can lead to bone loss. In women, estrogen levels decrease at menopause and as a result, the bone loss also increases.
- Use of medications: The use of certain medications can weaken your bones.
- Family history: If your family members have a history of osteoporosis, you are also at risk of developing it.
- Gender: The chances of developing osteoporosis in women are higher than in men as women have smaller bones and less bone tissue than men.
How to Take Care of My Bones to Keep Them Healthy?
It is never too late to start taking care of your bones. The following are some of the measures that can help you keep your bones healthy:
- Follow a balanced diet: Follow a balanced diet that contains the required amounts of calcium and Vitamin D. Dairy products, almonds, broccoli, kale are good sources of calcium. Egg yolks, saltwater fish, and liver contain Vitamin D. A few people may also need to take medications to get an adequate amount of calcium and Vitamin D.
- Practise regular exercise: Follow at least 30 minutes of exercise every day. Weight-bearing and strength-building exercises such as lifting weight and walking can make your bones stronger.
- Follow a healthy lifestyle: Avoid smoking and drinking to keep your bones healthy.
- Talk to your doctor: Discuss your risk factors with your doctor and check if you need to have a bone density test. Accordingly, the doctor can suggest required medications and help prevent bone breakdown.
- Prevent frequent falls: If people with osteoporosis fall frequently, falling can break down the bones. Hence ensure to have proper lighting at home to reduce falls. Walk every day to improve your balance and strength.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Low body weight is a major factor that causes bone loss as you get older. Along with following a proper diet, maintaining a healthy weight also enhances your bone health. Being overweight can also affect bone quality and the chances of bone fractures are also high.
- Sun exposure: Expose yourself to the sun for at least 5 to 10 minutes every day. This helps your body to get Vitamin D naturally.
Concerned About Your Bone Health? Dr Suhas Masilamani Can Help You
If you are worried about your bone health, consult visiting Dr Suhas Masilamani today. Dr Suhas has been working as an orthopedic doctor in Hyderabad for over 15 years. He has helped several patients with low bone mass in these years and gained vast knowledge in it. He is passionate about contributing his time to his patients. He has over 12 thousand satisfied patients and this shows his expertise in his field. Do not waste a single minute and schedule your appointment with Dr Suhas right away.